Wave of support made me stay as captain - Younis




Pakistan captain Younis Khan has said though it had been a difficult time facing up to match-fixing allegations, the wave of support back home that followed after he offered to step down, persuaded him to stay in charge of the team.
"It started with the committee that called me," Younis said. "As for me, it was very hard to go there and answer their questions. If I'm being questioned on my performance or my team's performance then that's very easy, as that happens in every country, not just Pakistan. But it was hard to go there and face them [and answer questions on match-fixing] and it was in my mind that if there were any hard questions then I'd quit.
"I'm used to controversy, but this time the whole nation was behind me. I thought I might not be able to play for a couple of months but every single person in Pakistan was backing me, so that's why I'm here."
There were believed to be various reasons behind Younis's resignation, though he never openly stated them. It is believed that as well as the suspicions of match-fixing raised in the aftermath of Pakistan's Champions Trophy semi-final loss to New Zealand, murmurs about factions in the team and management working to undermine Younis spurred the move.
However, Younis said he was keen to stop, what according to him, was a flawed search for answers everytime the side failed to win. "It's not possible all the time to win competitions," he said. "I wanted to stop these things and that's why I gave my resignation.
"My mind is now free and I can just worry about my captaincy, worry about my own form and worry about my team. I have no problems with my team, no problems with my country and no problems with my countrymen and I hope you'll see that in the coming days."
Pakistan will be engaging New Zealand in a limited-overs series - three ODIs and two Twenty20 internationals - in the UAE, from November 3-13. While the ODIs have been scheduled for Abu Dhabi, Dubai will host the two Twenty20s.
Younis, however, downplayed the notion that the upcoming clash was a chance to avenge the defeat in the Champions Trophy. "It's not [a revenge series] but all the Pakistan players have it in their minds, if possible, to beat New Zealand," Younis said. "In cricket and sport there is no revenge, but we won't forget that loss."